By Paula Roush
Limited edition of 300 copies
Digital printing on Favini Le Cirque 80g paper
Hand-bound & manufactured
Photographs of the Al-Yom (Today) collection at the Arab Image Foundation
Original text by elie-pierre sabbag from the novel “L’ombre d’une ville”
Beyrouth keyword sampling (“L’ombre d’un livre d’une ville”) by paula roush
Additional text editing by Antoine Sfeir
Based on research at the Arab Image Foundation & developed with Plan BEY in September 2015 during artist residency at Makan.
The Al-Yom collection has been temporarily held in storage boxes at the Arab Image Foundation waiting to be catalogued and re-housed in safe archiving material, until it is ultimately digitised and made available online for access. Al-Yom was founded by Afif El Tibi, the father of Lebanese journalism in 1937 and closed in 1975 when armed militia stormed the building giving the staff half-hour to leave the building. The collection was brought in by AIF former director Zeina Arida who found it amongst Walid El Tibi’s remains after the newspaper’s editor passed away and the apartment where he lived was cleared out.